How Important is Pet Wellness Care?
Extremely important, in fact! The key to making sure that your pet is staying healthy and not picking up any sneaky diseases is to schedule yearly wellness visits with your veterinarian. Dogs and cats age at a much faster rate than we do, so anything that happens within a year can have a significant effect on their overall health. Our doctors and staff in Hyde Park are eager to be a part of your pet's lifelong care and to help them spend as many years as possible with your family.
The wellness services that we recommend pets receive on a regular basis include:
- Nose-to-tail exams
- Vaccinations based on needs and lifestyle
- Diagnostic tests for parasite screening and disease detection
- Nutrition counseling
- Parasite prevention
- Oral exams and teeth cleanings
A Standard Wellness Timeline for Dogs and Cats
Dogs and cats have many differences, but they both need routine wellness care and other treatments at least once a year. Every pet has basic health needs that must be met to ensure that they stay healthy and protected from disease. For more information about our yearly recommendations for pets, click on the boxes below.
How Yearly Exams Promote Good Health
Bringing in your pet for regular exams accomplishes several things:
- Gives young puppies and kittens a healthy start in life
- It gives us the opportunity to investigate health concerns you may have noticed at home
- Allows us to set a baseline of health and compare your pet's current condition to what it was in the past so we can more easily detect changes
- Helps us confirm that pets are healthy and able to continue with their monthly parasite preventives and other medications
- Makes it possible for us to detect a disease early in its development and treat it right away
Maintenance, early detection, and prevention are our primary goals with pet wellness care, and they apply to animals at every life stage.
Caring and professional...alleviated my fears as I left my boys(cats) for dental care. Gave me an update afterwards procedures and clear directions for home care when I picked them up. I felt like they really cared.
- Judith M.
Why Parasites Are Problematic
It's no secret that parasites are unpleasant, but did you know that they can spread diseases to not only your pets but to you, too? The most common parasites affecting pets are:
Ticks can infect both animals and humans with Lyme disease, and humans can catch roundworm from coming into contact with feces from an infected animal. Heartworm disease does not affect humans but it can do severe damage to your pet's heart if it isn't treated. Luckily, your pet can enjoy greater protection from parasites and their diseases with full-coverage parasite prevention. Your veterinarian will evaluate your pet's health and lifestyle to determine the best preventives for their needs.
We would love to provide you with more information about pet wellness care and parasite protection. Please call (773) 324-4484 to speak with a team member and schedule a visit!